26 September 2009

Trees change color here.





Meet my good friend Tram-y


Yesterday I walked a zillion miles to the city center. And by a zillion, I mean 3. I went into the shopping center and picked up some things at Monoprix. Then took the tram back. I was out from about 12 to 4, but nothing very exciting happened. I went back to my room, took a shower, took a nap, and then came back to good ol' MacDo. I was talking to another assistant on g-chat when we realized that we were sitting two tables away from each other! So we ended up chatting for a bit and made plans to hang out.

Today we met at a tram stop and headed back to the center. Most things are closed on Sundays, but we were able to wander around le musée des beaux arts and look at des oeuvres alsaciennes. Had a drink at a cafe. Stopped for sandwiches at a patisserie. Sat for a while in the park. Headed back towards MacDo, but not before stopping at le parc des sports to watch some older gentlemen play a game of boules (French bocce ball, basically). Very fun to see how heated it gets between them. Now we're at MacDo again. I swear I'll do something more French once I have internet in my room. It's just very hard to feel cut off and that's how I feel if I don't at least check my mail.

Tomorrow I have to do important things like get a justificatif de domicile so I can open a bank account so I can get paid at some point. I also have to sign papers at the school and send some stuff to the immigration office. All very annoying, but I don't really have a choice. Tuesday, I'll go with a couple of assistants to buy train tickets for Friday. Apparently our orientation is pretty short, so we can wander around Strasbourg for a while afterward and have plenty of time to get back.

So, I woke up super sore this morning. Probably since I've been walking all over the place here after months and months of slothdom at home. Hopefully I can get myself used to exercise again before I have to go run around on a mountain with the English professors next weekend. My sleeping schedule is still a little off, but hopefully it will balance itself out soon enough.

I suppose that's all I have to report for now.

Stephanie (:

3 comments:

  1. Wow I'm nostalgic. :)
    One more thing I thought of: if the teachers haven't already told you, I left some random stuff in the English room that you might rummage through and see if you need anything.
    Most importantly, from the assistant before me, there's an electric space heater. TAKE IT! The heat goes out in the assistants' rooms sometimes, and if you have that heater, it will barely affect you. That thing probably saved me from some illnesses. :)
    Say hi to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see that you made if safely and that you're settling in :D Miss you! I'll send you some updates soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is awesome and makes me so so jealous...promise me that you'll drag me through France one day!

    ReplyDelete