29 September 2009

So, last night I decided to be brave (yes, sometimes it's a decision you have to make). I walked down the hall and I asked one of the girls if she knew the password for the wifi. She knew immediately that I'm the English assistant. Either because she saw me come from my little assistant hallway or because I am so American that not even my best French skills can hide it. Anyway, I got the password and was able to connect to the (incredibly weak) wireless...at least for a little while. Then I had that limited connectivity thing going on and it's been that way since. Which is why I'm back at, you guessed it, McDonald's. I wanted to check on a map where the bank I have to go to tomorrow is located. The director of the English department was nice enough to set up an appointment for me to open a compte courant. And when I showed up at the English teachers' lounge today around 11AM, one of the teachers asked if I could come to her class and introduce myself. I helped her prepare an English lesson for later in the day and then went with her to class. This particular group was incredibly small, consisting of five 15 year old boys. She told them to find out as much information about me as they could. "Whut eez your nayme?", " 'ow old ah yoo?", "What ah your 'obbeez?". Adorable! She had to prod them to talk and I had to jump in and ask them questions. Then the prof (Isabelle) asked them to give me suggestions about things to do and see in Alsace, which finally got them talking (castles, castles, and more castles! Also, laser tag.) They promised to celebrate Saint Nicolas with me and I in turn promised to bring them brand new episodes of CSI. I'd say that's a good trade. Anyway, I was feeling pretty blah this morning, but actually getting to do something like that brought back my enthusiasm. And Isabelle already asked me to work with her class every Tuesday for at least this trimester. As for the rest of my schedule? It will probably be relatively empty until after la Toussaint. But (did I mention this already?), there will be a schedule in my mailbox and the English professors can just fill in where and when they want me to assist. I have to start coming up with games/activities. Definitely some Jeopardy! and Guess Who. I'd like to use movies and music too. So hopefully I'll be able to incorporate all of that.

I met up with Mary and the rest of the Mulhouse assistants today at the Gare centrale. We bought our tickets and got the Carte 12-25, which, once paid for, basically let's you take the train anywhere in France for half price. I guess I should probably figure out what I want to do for la Toussaint, since I have a ridiculous amount of days off (Oct. 24-Nov.5). I know Mary already has plans to visit her old host family, but maybe another assistant will want to travel with me. Anyway, after the tickets, Mary and I grabbed lunch at this place that serves pasta in what look like Chinese food take-out containers. I had ravioli with spinach. V. good. Then we used the free Subway wifi for a bit. Then we hit Monoprix for a few things.

Found out that there might be another assistant living with me, well in one of the rooms in my little hallway anyway. I like being alone and I don't. Which is probably how it is for most people. It's nice to have everything to yourself, but it can get lonely. However it works out, though, I'll make the most of it. I guess I'm going to finish my mozzarella salad + Coca light and then head back to my room. I have episodes of House and Dollhouse to watch. If you loved me, you'd send me a TV.

Stephanie (:

1 comment:

  1. Yuck on the internet!

    But it must have been so nice to be in the classroom again and I know you're looking forward to a full schedule :D

    ReplyDelete