13 September 2009

10

Walking in space
We find the purpose of peace
The beauty of life
You can no longer hide...

I just wanted to set this up and test it out. I hope I'll update it at least somewhat consistently while in France...I'll certainly have plenty of free time. I haven't been thinking too much about leaving, but making this blog actually sent the waves of worry crashing over me...I'm pretty nauseous right now. The thing is, I'm confident in my teaching skills and for the most part in my French and I know that only continued practice will improve either. I love to explore and see new things and I'm pretty independent most of the time, so I'm not really worried about being alone or being in a different place. I'm mostly just afraid of how much I'll miss my family. And of the possibility of being very lonely. I won't be able to get too lonely, though, since I'm sharing living space with at least one other assistant. I'll be living in the school's boarding quarters. I'm under the impression that I'll have my own bedroom but that I'll be sharing a kitchen and bathroom with the German assistant and possibly a Chinese assistant (who apparently won't even be teaching at my school). All I know is that it's SUPER CHEAP (80 euro/month) so that means I'll have more money for traveling and making my room look less prison-y (I can only assume it will be quite prison-y in appearance). Basically I want to improve my French conversational skills, see what it's like to live in another country, wander around, explore, and take pictures of everything. I'm excited that Mulhouse has a cool zoo (parc zoologique) with animals and gardens and other things that I like. I'm hoping I can walk most places and I'm dying to take trains and watch the world pass me by.
I'm leaving in 10 days. I have packed nothing! Thankfully the dress "code" at the school is super casual. So I can just wear my usual t-shirt and skirt combo and add on a cardigan if it's cold or if I'm feeling particularly fancy. I've got two pairs of boots to take also since winter will bring snow. Snow! O, how I've missed thee. I'm trying to figure out in my head how to pack as little as possible while still remaining prepared for anything. I'm optimistic about going and being and doing. I'm lucky that I'll be able to stay in touch via facebook and aim and skype and this dear little blog. It won't be the same as face-to-face. But this is life, it seems. Moving on and being brave.

From Episode 2, Season 4 of Gilmore Girls ("The Lorelais' First Day at Yale"):

Rory: Why don't I want you to go?! This is your fault! You made me such a momma's girl! Why don't I hate you! Say something to make me hate you!
Lorelai: Um, go Hitler?


No comments:

Post a Comment